Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

What's the BIG idea??

Spring Break has officially come to an end and I am SAD about that but going back means I'm getting closer and closer to May when I get to marry this handsome guy! 
 
 
Then, of course, glorious summer days ahead!  I think I can do it!
 
Spring Break was productive, but not busy.  I had plenty of days to sleep in and work on some wedding projects at home.  It FINALLY warmed up yesterday and spring decided to make an appearance in my little corner of Virginia so I spent the day getting a little (too much) sun and reading a book.  It was a REAL, grown-up book.  I don't read those much from September-June!  I read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.  WOW. I highly recommend.  I finished it in two days...couldn't put it down.  It's definitely not a "feel good" story...pretty disturbing actually, but quite good!
 
 
I also had a chance to FINALLY finish up a new unit I've been working on for quite some time. I had a really hard time in the past teaching main idea to my first graders as a reading strategy.  I feel like I've finally come up with some ideas to help them grasp the concept.  This year was the first year I felt truly  successful with it, so I decided it was time to share!  This is also the first year that I feel like I've truly used the concepts of main idea and details to help my students as writers.  I am shocked at how it helped many of even my reluctant writers feel confident writing a short paragraph with multiple sentences on the same topic....YES!
 
I also noticed that as I shopped on TPT, there were a lot of resources out there for upper elementary grades...but not so much for primary. So if this is something that you are working on this spring with your little ones...I hope you can use it! 
 
It is on sale this week for $4!
There is a lengthy preview available on TPT so you can see exactly what you are getting. Just click the picture below to check it out. :)
 
 
I'd also love to give away a copy to the first 3 friends to leave me a comment.  On your mark, get set...go!
 
For now...I'm off to watch the Country Music Awards and gear up for my kiddos tomorrow! 
 
Happy Monday and as always...Happy Teaching to you!
 
Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! Main idea is a skill my kiddos struggle with, so I'd love to win a copy!

Thanks,
cathy@missversteeg.com

Amy Johnston said...

I hope you love it! E-mailing you now!

Lisa Mattes said...

Looks incredible! Growingfirsties@gmail.com

Kristine said...

I would love this! It looks awesome
Kristine.Kellenberger@gmail.com

Lisa Mattes said...

Amy- I looovved Gone Girl!

Lisa Mattes said...

Also tried to add that you and your fiancé are adorable! :)

Amy Johnston said...

Check your e-mail, friend! :)

Amy Johnston said...

Check your email, friend!

Amy Johnston said...

Awww, thank you! He's incredible. Lucky girl and I know it! I absolutely loved that book! I changed my mind at least 12 times about whose side I was on. I thought for sure I had it figured out and it just kept shocking me!

Sara said...

You're so right - there aren't a lot of resources for primary on this topic! Love this!

Sara
Primary Buzz

Amy Johnston said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sara!! :)

Jenni Taylor said...

This looks really good - think I'll use my tpt credits to get it. May will be here before you know it. Congrats, good luck, and thanks for this great packet.

Jenni Taylor

Anonymous said...

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You appear to understand
a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the e-book
in it or something. I believe that you can do with some % to drive the message house a bit, but other than that, that is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.

Feel free to visit my homepage lose weight fast

Post a Comment