Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Catching Up!

Well, hello!  It's been a while! 
 
My blog was having major technical difficulties for a little while and apparently...planning a wedding and teaching first grade is a full time job...TWO full time jobs...so, this girl has been a bit busy. 

But, in extremely important news...my gals are going to be STUNNING, aren't they?
 
I'm so excited.
 
My house is currently a disaster but my bridesmaids have dresses... and report cards are finished. Sawyer doesn't mind the house being a wreck, and I have a good excuse.  It's called...
I had to work on a SATURDAY.
 
Yep, it's true. I wouldn't kid about such a thing.  Working on a Saturday is not a joking matter. 
 
I know you don't believe me, but it's true.  Our snow days caused us to have staff development day last Saturday.   I had to present, so I was nervous and for some reason I kept thinking about the hilarious Kristin, aka the Teeny Tiny Teacher, talking about people throwing rotten tomatoes
 
(She cracks me up.  If you haven't checked out her blog...you must.  I especially love her Tuesday recaps of the Bachelor.  She makes me laugh out loud. A lot.)
 
Anyways...luckily, no one had any rotten tomatoes to throw so I'll take that as a success....especially for a Saturday. 
 
I actually presented about all of the fabulous resources in blogland and on TPT, Pinterest, etc.  So, basically, I've been too busy talking about blogging to actually blog.
 
Sigh.
 
Things have not slowed down in Room 106, though!  My student teacher has been gradually taking over more subjects and it's been eye opening to sit and watch from a different perspective.  It's crazy how many more little conversations I hear and things I notice when I'm not the one in charge of instruction.  I'm learning things about myself and the way I teach. 

Today, I heard one little guy say "I got the most sleep I've gotten in ages last night!"

He's like a 70 year old trapped in a 7 year old's body.  Cuteness.
 
I try to get things done that I never have time to do while she's teaching, but I have a hard time concentrating because I'm always turned around watching my kiddos and giving them "looks" when they are not acting right.  I can't help it.
 
I did go on a "labeling" spree, though.  Labeling things is therapeutic for me.  I use these cards from Creative Teaching Press to label EVERYTHING in my room.  Everything.  It's concerning, really.
 
Click here to view larger image
 
I just noticed that they are out of stock until April 6th.  I will personally apologize for that.  If anyone needs some, I have approximately 700 packs hoarded in my classroom. ;)
 
We have been working on place value and numbers to 100 in math.  It's one of my FAVORITE things to teach. Love it.  I have oodles of resources for place value that I've collected over time...but most of my games are from Cara Carroll's Place Value Packet of Fun!  Awesome resource!
 
Race to 100 - We will continue to play this all year!  It's tough to learn to trade but when they finally get it, angels sing...or something like that.
 
Cover Up
 
"Make the Most" 
Super simple game played with numbers 1-9 of a deck of cards and unifix cubes to keep score.  Each student takes turns picking a card and deciding whether to put it in the "tens" or "ones" space.  It didn't take long for them to realize that if they got a high number they should put it in the tens place to make the biggest number!  Fun to watch the light bulbs go off!
 
 
Here are some fun websites to check out as well...
 
 

 
 

We worked on 1 more, 1 less, 10 more, and 10 less today.  Some of them got it right away...some of them looked at me like I was crrraaazzyy. 

So, while I was at CVS today using a coupon for some anti-aging eye cream,
(ever since this last birthday, I've been a little nervous about this whole "getting old" thing)

I had an idea!  Tomorrow, we shall EAT our place value and I am quite sure that will do the trick.  I got some pretzel sticks for tens (rods) and some M&Ms for ones (cubes)...because let's be honest...math is always better when you can snack!


We also studied the sun, earth, and moon last week.  I am a firm believer that sometimes the simplest of projects turn out to be the best!  We had some extra time on Friday, so I set out my basket of "space" books and piled scrap paper on the table and let them go to town making their own picture of what they had learned about outer space.  It led to a lot of great discussions and some pretty phenomenal pieces of art!


 
 
 
This picture has evidence of my sick labeling obsession. I wasn't kidding.







 
Happy Friday and Happy Teaching to YOU!

Photobucket







2 comments:

The Polished Teacher said...

Oh my goodness you sure have been one very busy lady! Your bridesmaids are going to look fabulous! I love the different dresses in the same color scheme! The handmade solar system art is too cute! I'd love to hear more about your experience with your student teacher if you care to share!

ThePolishedTeacher

Anonymous said...

fatty liver treatment in homeopathy fatty liver treatment in homeopathy fatty liver treatment in
homeopathy

My homepage - fatty liver infiltration treatment in 3 steps

Post a Comment